Friday, March 17, 2017

March 17, 2017 LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS

Even though it was a bit windy this morning, it was STILL a great day to run. The sun was ablaze and  diamonds DANCED over the surface of the ocean--disappearing with the tide. It really is an amazing site.  After my run, I actually sat on the seawall and watched the show for a bit. The SUN really is a glorious thing--AND-- I am so thankful that I am healthy enough to be out enjoying it. It is interesting how our perspective changes with age. I can still remember all the dumb things I was thankful for when I was younger--mostly material things. Such is youth I guess. These days-- I see things differently--as long as everyone is SAFE, HEALTHY and reasonably HAPPY--EVERYTHING IS OKAY. It really is that simple. When life gets me down-- there's a leak in the pipes dripping through the ceiling so I can't take a shower-- someone steals my cell phone--I get a flat tire on the way to work-- I STOP AND TAKE A DEEP BREATH. I remind myself that these are just little things in the game of life. It will always be something. Then I repeat my mantra--everyone is safe, healthy and happy--EVERYTHING IS OKAY.  I read a memoir last year that really drives this point home called When Breath Becomes Air written by Paul Kalanithi.
Paul Kalanithi was a thirty-six year old neurosurgeon, scientist and writer whose life was cut short when he was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. One day he was a doctor who dealt with the dying, and suddenly almost overnight he became the patient struggling to survive. He tells his story through the eyes of  a trained doctor, scientist and most importantly, through the eyes of a patient. He wrote this book which was published posthumously, because he was plagued with many questions about his own mortality and what was really important in life. Sadly, while Kalanithi fought for his life, his wife Lucy was  pregnant with their first child. Shortly after the birth of their daughter, Kalanithi lost his battle with cancer. This memoir will make you stop  and reevaluate what is really important in life. Kalanithi's memoir is only about 200 pages--or  a 3 mile run. Even though I read it in a few short hours, the lessons I learned will last a lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. Every day, at least once, I pray for safety and health for my loved ones. Your blog was spot-on, Marsha. I so understand what you wrote, and the challenges to breathe and remember to keep perspective. I'm not sure I could read the book you recommended. It's too real. Maybe. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Karen. I really appreciate your feedback. What is important in life is really very simple. Look forward to seeing you on the road--hope you a healing up!!

    ReplyDelete