Saturday, March 25, 2017

March 25, 2017 ROLLER COASTER

Trying to do longer runs every weekend because the Mystic half marathon is only 2 short months away. Ran about 6.5 miles this morning--can't imagine doing another 6.6--but it will come. Hoping to run 7 or so next weekend and keep adding on until I get to 11 or 12 miles. That's the plan. I never run the full 13.1 before the race--I feel like that's a jinx.  If I can run 11 miles and feel OKAY then 13.1 is a no brainer-- at least that's what I tell myself. Running distance is more a mind game than anything else. I usually go through some version of the grief process every time I run a race. I spend the first 3 miles of the race in DENIAL--I can't believe I signed up for this--I'm not doing this-- I really don't feel like doing this!! Then I get ANGRY--when am I ever going to learn-- I am such an idiot--this is the last time, I mean it!!   By mile 5,  I ACCEPT that I  actually  have to hunker down and finish the damn thing. This leads to BARGAINING with myself between miles 8-10. Okay knees, just keep bending, it will be over soon then you can sit down--OR-- don't worry, as soon as you're done you can go to the BEER GARDEN. By mile 11, I'm feeling pretty DEPRESSED--Where's the finish line--did I take a wrong turn--I talk to myself a lot-- and try not to cry. When it's FINALLY over and I learn to live again--usually minus a few toe nails--a few blisters--chafe in places I won't mention--and snap, crackle, and pop knees. I GET over it--forget how hard it was THEN sign up for another RACE. Sound crazy? Almost as crazy as Peter Swanson's thriller from 2014 The Girl with a Clock for a Heart. 

Imagine going off to college and falling in love for the first time. This is what happens to George Foss  and Audrey Beck. As winter break rolls around the two reluctantly part ways to spend the holiday with family. At home, George tries to contact Audrey but she seems to have disappeared.  George goes back to school heartbroken but then learns that  Audrey committed suicide over the break. Upon hearing this news, George sets out to Florida to visit with her family and extend his sympathy. But wait--the photos of the Audrey Beck that George fell in love with are not the same. So starts this roller coaster ride. Where is Audrey Beck??? Flash forward twenty years. George is sitting in his local hangout in Boston---in walks Audrey--asking George for help. Sound intriguing?? George can't resist her even though he smells trouble.  George finds himself in a web of sex, lies, and murder as Audrey is not who she appears to be.  Find out what happens to George, Audrey/Liana/Jane when you read this hard to put down mystery of about 300 pages. This is a real page turner--about a 4 mile run-- so strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment