Saturday, March 4, 2017

March 4, 2017 DON'T BE CRUEL

OMG!!! Have I ever mentioned that I HATE March. I know that's a strong statement but it's true. EVERY year it's the same thing--survive the DREADED February--and get tricked into thinking it's almost spring--next weekend we actually SPRING AHEAD. It's all a BIG FAT LIE THOUGH--and  the weather this weekend is the testimony. This morning it was 18 degrees--with a WNW wind of 15 mph--making it feel like about 5 degrees. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!!  Had the usual debate--run outside or go to the gym. Called my comrade and we opted to take our chances with mother nature--even though my comrade has a serious WIND PHOBIA. It was seriously cold but we survived with only one extra wrinkle and seriously chapped lips. DITTO for tomorrow's weather. It's times like this that I have to work REALLY hard to be POSITIVE--channel all of my  energy--kind of like a seance. Remember Ouija boards--we would light candles, shut off the lights, connect with spirits and scare each other to death. GOOD TIMES. I might have to dust that old board out and wish March away  if this weather doesn't change soon because it really is the cruelest month.  This reminds me of the Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery I just finished reading of the same name.
A while back,  I wrote about Louise Penny the author of this mystery book series. I am loving them and have made it my mission to read all 12 books. I just finished reading the third mystery called The Cruelest Month. In this mystery, the tiny village of Three Pines is entering the Easter season after a long winter that just won't end-- when a psychic visits the inn. Bored with the relentless winter, the townspeople convince the psychic to hold a seance at the old Hadley House on the hill-- reputed as a house of evil and death. They want to rid the town of evil spirits and what better way than to host the seance at the home where a murder was recently committed right? As the villagers gather in the home and the seance gets underway, one of the villagers apparently dies of "fright"........ or is it murder??? Chief inspector Gamache is called upon to investigate the tragedy. He brings his team back to Three Pines where he sees old friends and tries to solve the mystery.  This story is much more complex than it appears as  Gamache has his own "evils" to confront involving a dear old friend and two new agents who seem less than honest. There's something for everyone in this story including  treachery, love, revenge and regret. Every book  is well written and sprinkled with poetic lines here and there to add to the mystery.  I love all the villagers from Three Pines too. They are unique and interesting characters that  I would be happy to meet. Every time I read one of the novels I'm glad to be back in Three Pines. If you like a good mystery than pick up this hard to put down book of about 300 pages--or a 5 mile run--that you will thoroughly enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment