Monday, June 11, 2018

June 11, 2018 PROBLEM CHILD

Why do our kids make THEIR problems--OUR problems?? How did this happen?? Why me?? Don't they know I JUST WANT TO BE LEFT ALONE.  Kids today are CLUELESS. They can't DO ANYTHING FOR THEMSELVES--and it's OUR FAULT. We DID/DO TOO MUCH FOR THEM. God forbid they should be UNHAPPY or STRESSED for a whole second!! I'm telling you this from EXPERIENCE. Whenever  one my "adult-aged kids" has any TEENY-- TINY problem or feels the least bit STRESSED--it SOMEHOW becomes my problem.  I've tried  to hide BEHIND books--go on EVEN longer runs--even "forget" to charge my cell. BUT THEY STILL FIND ME. They have some special DRIVE YOUR MOTHER INSANE RADAR. They're DETERMINED to get me involved--Stress me out--make me anxious--infuriate me. WHY?? WILL THEY EVER LEARN?? WILL I EVER LEARN?? It's too late for me. BUT--if you're a parent of the next generation--HEED MY ADVICE--DO NOTHING FOR YOUR KIDS. MAKE THEM FIGURE IT ALL OUT--LIKE WE HAD TO DO. I promise you--THEY'LL BE BETTER FOR IT and SO WILL YOU.
One way I've learned to cope with annoying children is to escape in a funny book--so that's what I did in Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher.  The main character in this epistolary style novel is Jason Fitger, a professor of creative writing and literature at a small college in the Midwest. Jason is a middle aged, disillusioned professor with serious "women problems" who lets loose in the endless letters he is called upon to write for students and colleagues. His recommendations/letters are brutally honest, passive aggressive and laugh out-loud funny as he not only writes recommendations, but also somehow recounts his once promising career,  romantic life which is a disaster, and the budget cuts that continue to eat away at his department.  He has really hit rock bottom-- as seen in his hysterically crazy letters. So,  if you're looking for a good laugh than you should give this novel of 192 pages a try. It's an easy read--about a 2.5 miles. I will leave you with another word of advice: DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IN A QUIET, STAID ENVIRONMENT UNLESS YOU WANT TO MAKE A SCENE.

No comments:

Post a Comment