Wednesday, June 27, 2018

June 27, 2018 TIME IN A BOTTLE

Time. It's something I think about often. I guess the older I get--the more I appreciate time. I'm no longer willing to waste it. I've become more selfish with it because I finally realize that time comes with NO money back guarantee--can't buy more or extend the policy--so there's no sense wasting it doing something--I DON'T WANT TO DO. When I was younger--I had a hard time saying NO--and then I would be angry with myself because I was DOING SOMETHING I DIDN'T WANT TO DO--A-G-A-I-N. Thankfully--I've gotten much better at just saying NO--and let go of that STUPID GUILT I used to feel when I said NO. Guilt--IS JUST ANOTHER WASTE OF TIME.  It's just negative energy that messes with your mind and keeps you from appreciating time and spending it wisely. NOW--My definition of spending time wisely would obviously include-- READ A LOT OF BOOKS--especially the one I just finished and LOVED called Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo.
Set in Lagos, Nigeria, Yejide and Akin fell in love and married while attending university.  Akin is expected to take many wives and have several sons, however, they have decided to have a monogamous marriage. Unfortunately, after 4 years of marriage and a host of visits to fertility doctors and healers, Yejide is still not pregnant. Due to mounting pressure from his family, Akin reluctantly agrees to take a second wife leaving Yejide feeling betrayed. Yejide and Akin realize that the only way to save their marriage is to get pregnant. Begging the question-- how far are they willing to go to get Yejide pregnant??  How much should they have to sacrifice for the sake of family and tradition? This incredible story is told in first person and alternatives between the voices of Yejide and Akin as they tell the story of their marriage in the wake of political unrest in Lagos. Ultimately, this is a story about infertility, loneliness and how they both attempt to save their marriage but somehow almost tear it apart. This  book is so powerful and disturbing that I could hardly put it down and it is still lingering in the back of your mind. It's been 3 or 4 days and I haven't been able to start another book--seriously. I'm hoping that by writing about it, I can finally let it go and move on to my next book. It's about 260 pages --or a 3.5 mile run--that should be moved to the top of your summer reading list!

No comments:

Post a Comment