Friday, August 17, 2018

August 17, 2018 YOUNG, WILD & FREE

Ah--to be 22 again. Yesterday was my daughter's birthday. I get such a kick out of how much she LOVES HER BIRTHDAY. She starts THE countdown to THE BIG DAY at least a week before. Maybe it's just to remind us--TO GET HER A PRESENT--who knows. She loves the whole SHEBANG. The balloons--glitter-- party on the beach. She's had  birthday parties on the beach--with various themes--AND the same group of friends--forever. These days-- a party on the beach IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT THOUGH. It involves having a few cold ones with the gang--AND some complicated form of BEER PONG--I still can't quite figure out.  After a day at the beach--the party continues-- dinner with family and a few friends--followed by a night on the town with the gang. CRAZY.  That girl's got a lot of energy. Up at 8:00 this morning to spend the day in Block Island. Ah--to be 22 again. Maggie O'Farrell was about 22 when she had a near death experience as she describes in her memoir I AM, I AM, I AM:  Seventeen Brushes with Death.  

I have to admit that I was really on the fence about this book but decided to give it a chance after reading an article about it in the paper. It's essentially seventeen brushes with death that O'Farrell has grappled with in her life and the appreciation she feels for her life because of these experiences.  The stories are terrifying, tragic, and at times it's unbelievable that so much has happened to her.  Like I said, wasn't sure about the book but decided to read the first story and I was hooked. The first story is about an encounter she had with a VERY SCARY MAN while out hiking one day. I really could relate to this story because like O'Farrell--I was really naive when I was younger--too trusting of people. Luckily for her, she made some smart decisions out on that trail that saved her life--not sure I would have done the same. Each story will help you appreciate your life and encourage you not to take it for granted. The writing is lovely and easy to read. It's about 300 pages--or a 4 mile run--that will help you feel grateful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment