Friday, November 11, 2016

November 11, 2016 NEW ATTITUDE

Coffee is a VERY important part of my morning routine. It's one of the first things I go for when I get up-- without it-- I'm a ZOMBIE. This morning I had to FORGO the coffee though--WHAT  A TERRIBLE WAY TO START  MY DAY.  Anyways, running without that cup of joe hurt--literally and figuratively.  I was in a fog the whole time--I couldn't get into my groove or find the zone. Every step hurt--DID I SAY--the whole time.  This was even worse than the hangover run last weekend--SERIOUSLY. When we were done, I told my comrade that the only good thing I had to say about the run was that it was OVER. As we walked home and I schlepped though the leaves I thought --it was awful, but any day I get to run is a good day.  Hey--it's November--running in shorts--and a balmy 52 degrees--who cares if the run is BAD, TORTURE, OR PURE HELL-- RIGHT?? There's always tomorrow and the promise of a new run--it's all about the ATTITUDE.
Our frame of mind pretty much shapes our lives and this is certainly evident in Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney's book The Nest. This is the story of the Plumb family, a seriously dysfunctional family living in New York City. Four siblings, Leo, Melody, Jack and Beatrice have spent their adult lives waiting for the youngest to turn 40. On her birthday, the four siblings will finally collect their inheritance- what they refer to as the nest. Leo is the oldest brother, reckless and unlikable, who has put the nest in jeopardy in a drunk driving accident involving a 19 year old girl. Melody is a wife and mother living in an ultra expensive neighborhood with  two college tuitions looming over her head. The other brother, Jack is an antiques dealer who owes everyone money, while the youngest Beatrice is a promising author who never finishes what she starts. They have all made a mess of their lives and need the nest to solve their financial problems. This is a story about bad choices, ambition and how money can destroy people. Will they get their inheritance and solve their woes--read this debut novel and find out for yourself.  I really enjoyed this book and can certainly see it  being made into a movie in the future. It's about 350 pages or a 5 mile easy run that you will really enjoy. Remember attitude is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment