Wednesday, November 23, 2016

November 24, 2016 "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)"

It's that time of year to reflect and be thankful--so--in that spirit--I thought that I would write a blog about being thankful--in NO particular order. Health.  I am thankful to be healthy enough in mind, body and spirit to exercise on a regular basis--without this outlet--I might not have the rest. Family. I am thankful that I have a great family--not sure how that happened--must have done something right by accident. Friends. I am thankful to have a few good friends--who feel like family. Weather. I am thankful for all types of weather--especially--the sun. There is nothing that brightens my day more than being able to spend time in the sun. Books. I am grateful to all of the authors out there who have inspired me and helped me become a better--teacher--writer--thinker--mother. Intelligence. I am grateful that I was smart enough to change my life--let go of the old-- and forge a new path. Food. Thankfully, I learned to cook at a young age--and it keeps my kids coming back again and again. Drink. Lastly, I am thankful for water, coffee and vodka--for helping me stay hydrated, awake and relaxed when I need to be. Enough said.

The main character Nariman Vakeel, a seventy-nine year old suffering from Parkinson's disease, is also thankful for his daughter in Rohinton Mistry's bestselling book of 2002 Family Matters. Set in Bombay, Nariman, a Parsi,  lives with his  two middle-aged step-children, Coomy and Jal in a  spacious apartment in the city of Mumbai.  Coomy is a selfish, manipulative woman who resents having to take care of her step-father in his old age as she never accepted him as a father.  After an accident, Nariman is bedridden and Coomy and Jal devise a plan to get rid of him. They want his home, but are not willing to make any sacrifices as they believe his real daughter, Roxana, should take care of him. They  bring Nariman to live with Roxana and her family in a TINY apartment on the other side of town.  Although Roxana wants to take care of her beloved father, they already live in cramped conditions and are financially drained. Family does matter as seen in Roxana's devotion to her father and family but the situation eventually causes resentment from her husband Yezad and children. In order to  make ends meet, Yezad ultimately decides to steal money from his employer which turns their lives upside down.  Find out what happens next when you read this beautifully written novel of about 400 pages--or a 6 mile run--that stresses the importance of family and giving back. Spend a few minutes today thinking about what you're grateful for. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment