Sunday, November 20, 2016

November 20, 2016 MAN IN THE MIRROR

One of my favorite things to do is buy new running clothes when the season changes. It's a great way to stay motivated. So I ordered some new pants and they've been sitting on my bureau--just waiting for the right temperature--which happened to be this morning. Yippee!! I put the pants on and immediately felt better--New Clothes--New Attitude--Right? Seems simple enough to me. The real test though was when I started running. Within 5 minutes, I was annoyed. They were too big and they kept falling down. It was my own fault though--Not sure why I ordered a large--I think I see someone bigger than I really am in the mirror. So, the whole run--6 miles--I had to stop and pull my pants up.  Good thing it wasn't a race or it would have killed my time. Lesson One--Never wear anything new when running a race--stick with the tried and true. Lesson Two--BODY IMAGE. Women in general have a distorted view of their bodies--from years of media hype--and it's hard to escape. I have personally been a victim of it my whole life. I need to learn to appreciate my body--every lump of it--accept my age (probably won't happen)--and embrace who I am right now. IT'S ALL GOOD--THAT'S WHAT I KEEP TELLING MYSELF ANYWAYS.
Bernadette Fox the main character of Where'd You Go, Bernadette written by Maria Semple has the opposite problem.  She accepts herself just fine, it's everyone else that has a problem with her. Bernadette lives in Seattle with her 15 year old daughter Bee, and her Microsoft computer geek husband Elgin. Bernadette is a world famous architect who has abandoned her career. She is now a mother and serious agoraphobic who  loves her family but hates her life. She hates Seattle--and all the mothers whom she refers to as "gnats" at her daughter's private school. It's all too much for her. As Bernadette teeters on the brink of insanity, her well-meaning husband sets up an intervention during which Bernadette disappears. This laugh out loud story is narrated by Bee and told in a series of letters, emails, transcripts and other written documents as Bee searches for her mother and discovers much more than she bargained for. I really enjoyed this book--it's an easy, fun read-- filled with quirky characters that are hysterical. It's about 350 pages--or a 4 mile run--that ends too fast. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment