Wednesday, November 16, 2016

November 16, 2016 WE ARE FAMILY

The time change. UUGGHH!!!!  When am I going to fit my run in??  Who's going to watch my little one so I can run??  Is he old enough to stay home alone for an hour? I wonder if I can stick him in the dog crate for an hour?? I promise I'll leave water and a snack--HHMMM. These are the  questions that run through my mind--almost daily. It's getting easier though. My oldest graduated from college in May and is living in the area. He is also considerate enough to juggle his work schedule when he can so that I can go for a run--THANK YOU, THANK YOU. He's used to my kookiness and thinks nothing of getting a text from me to find out if he will be able to swing by for a bit so his crazy mother can run. He's not a runner so he doesn't really understand my quirky habits, but he goes with it.  Don't worry though,  I take care of him in the FOOD department to return the favor. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FOOD TO HIM.  My daughter even helps out when she is home from college-- she'll watch the little guy --join me for a run--or even run a few races with me over the summer. She's the real athlete in the family so she understands. My husband also helps out--running early in the morning so that I can fit my weekend runs in--the long ones and the REALLY LONG ones. I guess it's REALLY a  family affair and I consider myself lucky that I have a family that supports me and helps me reach my goals. June Elbus the 14 year old main character of Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt isn't quite so lucky with her family though.
June lives in Westchester with her parents and sister Greta. Her parents are overwhelmed with work and June has a strained relationship with her sister. Her only saving grace is her Uncle Finn. June and Finn are extremely close which drives her family crazy because he is gay. This is the 80's when the AIDS epidemic hit New York City hard. Finn is ill, but June doesn't know what's wrong with her ultra talented artist uncle. Finn asks June and Greta to come sit for a portrait that he entitles Tell the Wolves I'm Home.  Soon after the portrait is  completed,  Finn passes away. June is devastated but has no one to share her grief with until she meet Finn's boyfriend Toby at the funeral. June and Toby ultimately become close even though her mother forbids her to see him. Junes family eventually falls apart-- her parents  are wrapped up with their own problems and her sister starts abusing alcohol. Read this beautiful story to find out how Toby and the portrait painted by Finn ultimately bring this family back together.  This story sticks with me because I had an Uncle who died of AIDS in the early 90's. Even then, it was a big secret--the stigma attached to it--tore families apart. It must have been sad to feel so alone in the world. Looking back, I wish I could've helped. Anyways, give this book a try. Its about 380 pages or a 5 mile easy run that will help you empathize with an epidemic that continues to take lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment