Saturday, May 20, 2017

May 19, 2018 SHADOW OF A DOUBT

Been a really busy week. Only ran once---SO UNUSUAL for me. It was a TERRIBLE run too--85 degree-- and the HUMIDITY was like a wet blanket. Some people love to run in that weather--I think it's MISERABLE. Really want to go for a run right now but went to the eye doctor's a little while ago and my eyes are so DILATED I can hardly see. So-- I'm stressed because I haven't run enough this week and the half marathon is Sunday. My ANXIETY is spiking --I'm already berating myself for signing up for this dumb race and putting myself through this NONSENSE again. WHEN WILL I EVER LEARN??  I REALLY NEED MY HEAD EXAMINED. This is why I hate signing up for races ahead of time. I OVERTHINK and WORRY about everything.  What should I wear?  Will these socks give me blisters?  Do I have any anti-chafe-- how about GU??  This worrying will ruin my whole weekend. UGH. Then it's the dreaded worry about how FAST/SLOW my time will be. What if I SUCK!!! DOUBT--it's something we all deal with at some point in our lives. One thing I have no doubt about though--you will not be able to put down Nathaniel Philbrick's National Book Award Winner In the Heart of the Sea:  The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex.
Philbrick has the uncanny ability to not only write great non-fiction, but write it in such a way that you feel like you are reading great fiction. This page turner is perhaps one of the greatest sea stories in American history. It is well researched--with both primary and secondary sources that add rich detail to this beautifully written story. In 1820 the Essex, a 240 ton ship, set sail from Nantucket on a routine voyage for whales. Somewhere in the South Pacific, 15 months later, the Essex was repeatedly rammed by an 80 ton  bull sperm whale and sunk. It's 20 crew members were forced into 3 tiny boats--and a decision. Should they sail to the coast of South America some 3000 miles away or risk a closer island where they feared tribes and cannibalism? The crew decided to sail to South America and spent 90 days at sea--hunger--thirst--disease--fear.  Find out for yourself what happened to the crew of the Essex when you read this harrowing story. Fun fact-- Melville used the the Essex tragedy as inspiration in his novel Moby Dick. Anyways, this story of man versus nature is about 240 pages or a 4 mile run--that will stick with you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment