Wednesday, May 3, 2017

May 3, 2017 GOOD TIMES BAD TIMES

Couldn't wait to get out for a run this afternoon--great weather--the sun was shining and the breeze was wonderful!!  BIG MISTAKE--HORRIBLE RUN--how could that be???  You never know. I ran four miles today and felt like I ran 40. Pretty sure my legs were telephone poles--felt like I was dragging 25 pound weights on my ankles too. The only good part was when it was over.  It's such a crapshoot REALLY. Just when I'm feeling good about my running--even confident about the race--POOF--it's gone.  Maybe it was getting up at 6:00--working all day--laundry--cooking--running at 5:30--dehydration--hunger--weariness. Or maybe I just need new sneakers. WHO KNOWS. I do know THAT I literally had to force myself to finish--I couldn't QUIT. It was such a DOWNER though--felt so good running 10 miles ONLY two days ago. Okay-- I'm just going to let it go-- move on--TRY NOT to over think it too much.  Tomorrow is another day right??  Not going to get TOO hung up on this thing--oh yeah--I already said that. It's just so FRUSTRATING. Dissed by my own body. UGH!  Good thing I have a short attention span. It seems to gets progressively shorter by the end of every school year too.  That's why I decided to read a collection of short stories by Dan Chaon this week. No pressure, like starting a new book every day.
Chaon is a highly regarded author who is especially noted for his short stories. He was a finalist for the National Book Award a few years ago for his gripping tales in Among the Missing. In this collection of 12 stories, Chaon explores many themes including grief, guilt, loneliness, and my personal favorite--a struggle against the past. All of his characters are dealing with some type of trauma--physical, emotional or even with the paranormal. Some of these sorry souls are haunted and damaged, while others  have unfulfilled dreams that ultimately lead them  astray and  into unexpected places with devastating consequences. I love reading his books because Chaon intrigues me. He really has the ability to understand his characters  in an uncanny way.  His perception of the human condition is second to none as Chaon knows how they think--what motivates them-- what they really need--which is usually at odds with what is best for them. While some stories are intense, others are suspenseful, even bordering  on insanity. One thing is true though--ALL are unsettling and haunting. NONE will end well because the characters are too disturbed.  Each story will leave you feeling thankful that you navigated this journey known as life and weathered the storm better than his characters--hopefully.  This is an easy to read book of about 275 pages--or a 5 mile run--that's like an onion--it has too many layers to explain. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment