Tuesday, May 23, 2017

May 23, 2017 EYE OF THE TIGER

The morning AFTER the race I felt like I had been HIT by a train--BUT--I'm not going to waste time complaining. I'm just going to be thankful. WHY?? First-- complaining is a waste of time--it takes away from your positive energy. Second--I had an AWAKENING the other day. This is what happened. The morning before the race--I was out walking my dogs when I came upon a 5k.  I crossed the street--CHEERED the  runners on--and literally bumped into one of my comrades. We were chatting about running--and I was rambling on about ALL of my ANXIETY-WORRY-COMPLAINTS--about the race the next day. It was a REAL laundry list too--I didn't even pause for a breath. When I was done blabbering on-- I gazed across the street to watch the runners and I saw a man--running the 5K--with prosthetic legs!! SHOOK MY HEAD AND SHUT my giant mouth immediately.  He changed my whole attitude in ONE SPLIT SECOND. What a WHINY brat I was being!!!  What right did I have to complain--I have my legs! That guy was STILL out there getting it done--what an inspiration. Will Traynor, the main character of Jojo Moyes book Me Before You learned too late to be thankful for the body he was given.
Every now and then I like to read a love story so I picked this book up on a whim and I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed it. Set in a tiny village in England, Will Traynor was a rich, good looking man who had it all. He was well-traveled, and loved extreme sports and beautiful women--until an accident left him wheelchair bond and living back with his parents. Louisa Clark was your average small town girl.  She had a close family, boyfriend and friends.  She also desperately needed a job in a village that afforded little opportunity. After Will returned home, his parents hired Louisa to help Will with his day to day life.  He clearly didn't want her there and made NO bones about his dislike for her and his new existence. After several mishaps though, the two develop a friendship that eventually blossomed into love. There was one huge problem though--Will wanted to die on his own terms. He could not see himself stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. After discovering Will's plan, Louisa set out to show him that life was still worth living. Was Louisa  able to convince Will to change his mind, or would he decide to go through with his original plans? Find out when you read this heartbreaking story. Love is a funny thing--it's not at all like it is in fairy tales. Anyways, this quick read is about 400 pages--or a 3.5 mile run--that you will not be able to put down. By the way, this little gem has two sequels out. Haven't read them yet, but I'm sure they're equally as good. Enjoy--don't forget the tissue.

No comments:

Post a Comment