Sunday, May 28, 2017

May 28, 2017 HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

Twenty-three year ago. To me, the blink of an eyelash. That's when my first son was born and my ENTIRE world changed. No one can tell you what having a newborn is like.  It's something you have to experience yourself. CHILDBIRTH--as traumatic as that is--is a walk in the park compared to  being a newbie. I was NOT prepared--for the demands and self-sacrifice of motherhood. It's still something I struggle with at times. I really need ME time. It was actually early in my martyrhood --OOPS--motherhood  that I started running.  I just needed  an outlet--a little time carved out--WHEN IT WAS STILL ALL ABOUT ME.  I KNOW YOU'RE THINKING--that's totally  unheard of in the world of parenting little ones--BUT BELIEVE ME-- It made all the difference. I'm not one of those women satisfied with just being a mom. I can't live my life vicariously through my kids. I have to have my own life to a degree.  I am more than just THEIR MOM. I love my kids dearly BUT.........Even today, my kids--STILL try to make it all about them ONCE IN A WHILE--and I just turn around and smile and say-- it can wait--I'M GOING FOR MY RUN!
All this talk about kids made me think of a beautifully written novel by Eowyn Ivey called The Snow Child.  Drawing on a Russian fairytale of 1869 called The Snow Maiden, Ivey created a lovely novel about a childless couple who build a snow child that mysteriously comes to life. Jack and Mabel are that couple. After losing a child, they try to escape their sorrow by moving to the Alaskan wilderness in 1920. While Jack focuses on work--clearing the land and planting crops--Mabel wallows in loneliness and depression--as neighbors are scarce in this demanding landscape.  One night after a snowfall, the couple build a snow child and awake the next morning to many changes. Jack sees a child running through the wilderness and soon after, the girl, along with a red fox, begin to appear in their yard on a regular basis. Over time,  the snow child--Faina--becomes part of the family and changes their lives forever. This tale has a mystical quality to it that I can only think to call "magical realism".  The quality of the writing is second to none as Ivey  captures the sharpness of grief and loneliness of not only the characters but also the Alaskan wilderness perfectly. I really could not put this book down. Find out what happens to Faina and her new family when you read this 389 page novel yourself. It's about a 6 mile run--well worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment