Monday, September 12, 2016

September 12, 2016 AND I'M GETTING OLDER TOO........

I know I have already mentioned that I am vain--but I am not sure you really understand--HOW VAIN I REALLY AM. So I run--for peace of mind first, but also to stay in shape and try--TRY--to maintain my figure--which is getting harder by the year. If I look at food these days, I seem to gain weight. Running also helps with the "all over" carefree tan look too. Just be careful because you can get the "short sleeve tan" going--SO--keep the shirts sleeveless-- and as long as no one see you naked--the illusion works. The tan also helps to maintain that youthful, healthy look that I know I lost long ago--WAIT--I NEED TO GET A TISSUE TO WIPE MY TEARS. One last good thing about running at my age--men still pay attention to runners--no matter how old they are. Put on a hat or visor and no one is the wiser. Hey compliments are hard to come by these days--SO--I take them wherever I can get them. It doesn't matter if the complimenter is drunk, high, young, old or even blind. A compliment is still a compliment, RIGHT?? Anyways, aging is difficult for everyone--ESPECIALLY-- someone like me--who used to be all that--even if it was ONLY in my own mind! SERIOUSLY though,  Nora Ephron and I have a lot in common. She definitely feels my pain and writes about it in her very funny book, I Feel Bad about my Neck and Other Thoughts on Being a Woman.

Ephron has written several books but it is interesting to note that she is equally famous as a screenwriter of such famous movies as Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally to name a few.  I Feel Bad about My Neck is a collection of essays on growing older--I love the chapter about "maintenance routines" as a second career--coloring the hair every 5-6 weeks, pedicures, manicures and botox appointments too. Ephron has a dry wit and at times I laughed out loud at her quips. Ephron argues, "The neck is a dead giveaway" --women can hide age well but the neck is the tell tale sign ---hence-- the popularity of the scarf--it takes 10 years off--I, myself,  own at least 50 of these magicians-- they are true miracle workers.  Although Ephron's look at growing older and the issues women face is very funny, it is an honest look at something we will all eventually face. If you enjoy this book, she wrote another book on aging that is also quite funny titled I Remember Nothing--my daily mantra with--WHAT'S YOUR NAME--as my most asked question lately. At less than 160 pages, Ephron's book is no great commitment--a slow jaunt around the block a few times--but guaranteed to make you laugh and then cry if you can relate. NO WORRIES--IT'S NOTHING A FEW SCARVES AND DARK GLASSES CAN'T HIDE. Enjoy!

3 comments: