Wednesday, September 7, 2016

September 7, 2016 SCOOBY DOOBY DOO WHERE ARE YOU??????

I love a great mystery, but had to ask MYSELF........what do mysteries have to do with running??? Well, believe it or not,  I have actually solved many mysteries while out running---what car belongs to what house---where does that good looking guy live--who stole my garbage can--AND PERHAPS THE BEST MYSTERY OF ALL--why is HIS car in HER driveway. Okay,  I'll leave that one to your imagination. Anyways, we are surrounded by simple mysteries everyday--if you pay attention to your surroundings. Running forces me to notice things that other people overlook--it's hard not to see what driveway the car pulled into--it's even harder for me not to follow the good looking man home so I can see where he lives. I know I am a pathetic person but when all you do is run, read and write you are forced to make up mysteries to keep life interesting, right??? Seriously though, I really do love a good mystery and there is no better mystery writer than Agatha Christie.
Christie was a novelist, playwright, poet and short story writer who wrote sixty-six mysteries in her lifetime including one of my favorites The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. This classic of the genre, arguably the "Queen of Crime's" best work, was written in 1927 and set in the village of King's Abbot, England. The story is told in the first person by Dr. James Sheppard, the doctor of the village. The story begins with an apparent suicide which stirs confusion and rumors followed by the murder of the title character two days later. An investigation ensues with Hercule Poirot, the eccentric detective leading the charge. The suspect list is quite large but includes Flora-niece of Ackroyd, Ralph-stepson, Ursula-maid, Mr. Blunt-friend just to name a few. This great whodunit is filled with twists, turns, clues, foreshadowing and RED HERRINGS. Confession---I did not figure out who the killer was until Poirot solved the crime at the end of the story--AND THAT IS WHY IT IS SO GREAT. This is a book that is hard to put down--just when you think you have solved the mystery--you have to think again and re-evaluate all the suspects. It's an easy read--about 300 pages--maybe a four mile run--so dig in and see if you can solve the murder of Roger Ackroyd. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment