Thursday, September 29, 2016

September 29, 2016 WATCHING THE WHEELS GO ROUND AND ROUND

Have you ever noticed that most runners are obsessed with food?  It's a VICIOUS cycle. I have gotten into this terrible habit of eating ice cream on the days I run--I justify it by saying--I ran today. SO WHAT!! I have NO business eating ice cream at night--especially at my age. The metabolism has slowed down considerably--to a snail's PACE-- I can't even maintain my weight running 4-5 days a week. It is crazy--sometimes I feel like a gerbil on one of the wheels.  If I get off the wheel, I will probably gain 20 pounds because I am so used to eating a certain way--HA--like I said most runners are obsessed with food in some way. Many runners I know obsess about food in a completely different way though--they over analyze what they eat before racing, while recovering from a race, as well as what  foods they should eat to enhance their runs. I should be focusing more of my OBSESSING on those kinds of things--but instead I stay on the gerbil wheel--UNTIL NOW.

Believe it or not things are about to change. One of my comrades just gave me this great book that is going to change my eating habits and runs called Run Fast. Eat Slow. This great cookbook was written by two college friends--Shalane Flanagan-- an Olympic medalist, champion marathoner and American distance record holder, and her friend Elyse Kopecky -- a food writer, whole foods chef and graduate of The Natural Gourmet Institute for Healthy & Culinary Arts. First off, you DO NOT have to be a runner to love this cookbook-- just someone who wants to eat healthier--REAL FOOD. This book is filled with great recipes--the  smoothies are nutritious and delicious just like a milkshake. There is also a section titled "Morning Fuel" filled with recipes to start the day off right. Muffins, french toast, granola and even breakfast burritos to fuel your day. I especially love the chapter on salads--pesto potato salad, tarragon chicken salad and the soba noodle salad will make you salivate. By the way, there are  gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian options included for most of the recipes. Another great feature is  the chapter "Runner's Remedies." Here you will find many recipes to boost the immune system, combat stress, or fight inflammation just to name a few. There is something for everyone in the book. It is filled with great information too so give it a try--it's about 250 pages--with pictures--don't look at them if you are hungry though because you might just try to eat the page.
BON APPETIT!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to try some of the recipes. Im especially interested in some of the electrolyte/fuel replacement drinks. One made with coconut water sounded really good!

    ReplyDelete