Friday, February 17, 2017

February 17, 2017 ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL

Made it to February vacation. What a relief.  NINE whole days to run, read and relax. YIPPIE. I know that sounds pathetic but to me it's a dream come true. For NINE days, I don't have to hurry up and wait.  I get to recharge my battery for the next round. I know we get more  time off  than the average bear, but teaching really is an exhausting, NONSTOP job. It's like being on stage--performing--all day--everyday.  Okay, I might get 15 minutes to shovel down a banana and once in a great while sneak in a potty break, but that's it. We are ruled by the bell--like Pavlov's dog. Through the course of a day, over 100 kids schlep in and out of my room. I'm charged--as scary as that my seem--with managing, entertaining, and trying to teach them--it's like juggling fire.  Sometimes I wonder......if they're really listening to what's important. Yes, there are many things kids need to learn according to the curriculum--to prepare for college blah, blah, blah--but there are so many other things I hope I'm teaching them too.  Responsibility, perseverance, kindness and the BIGGY-- thinking outside the box. Kids are always in a hurry today with far too many commitments--so they GOOGLE everything.  Technology is great when used appropriately, but when it's used in place of critical thinking than it is being misused. We are not robots and GOOGLE can't answer and shouldn't answer every question. If we let that happen than we might as well be machines. Creative thinkers, responsible, kind citizens who persevere in the face of adversity are what this world needs.  I guess that's what makes teaching such a challenge and why I need time to rest and recharge. Whenever I start to think about technology my mind wonders to a dystopian novel--remember I went through my dystopian reading period--and what better one to review than Aldous Huxley's classic from 1931 Brave New World.   
After a visit to the United States, Huxley decided to write this novel as a warning because he believed Americans were losing their individual identity and it would only worsen in the fast paced future. He was outraged at American materialism, and the "me" nature of its citizens. Interesting. Anyways, Brave New World is set in London in the year 2540--a world where human cloning is the norm. Bernard Marx, however, is a short ALPHA who is a psychologist at the hatchery. He is ridiculed because of his size and "individual thinking." The other main character is Lenina Crowne a perfect BETA who works at the hatchery. They live in a world without a past as it has all been destroyed-NO ART, HISTORY, LITERATURE and the clones don't care because they have all been brainwashed and given an addictive drug that prevents them from forming emotional attachments. They are devoid of all intellectual curiosity and critical thinking as it is frowned upon by the World Controllers as this is how they retain power over the MASSES. Find out what happens to Lenina and Bernard after they spend a week at a Savage Reservation and return with two outcasts--Linda and her son John-- when you read this excellent novel that appears on the 100 best novels of all times list. This book is particularly relevant since the presidential election and all the crazy things that have been happening since Trump took over the throne. It's more important than ever to THINK--as we have more than enough sheep in the herd. Hope you enjoy this book--it's about 310 pages or a 5 mile run worth every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment