Monday, February 20, 2017

February 20, 2017 MORE THAN A WOMAN

The last three days have been incredible--like springtime in February. It's been great for running--actually PERFECT as far as I'm concerned. My comrades and I have been trying to sneak in longer runs to get ready for our half marathon, and this weather is making that possible. So THANKFUL. It's funny, the older I get the more I realize that it's the little things that really make me happy. Enjoying the sunshine, running, hanging around the house--reading, writing and trying to paint again-- are enough for me. I've probably never mentioned it before but--I really love art--painting, drawing, pottery--and have started dabbling in it again. It's another passion of mine that I SOMEHOW misplaced over the years --I guess I was overwhelmed with life. Luckily, I started teaching art a few years ago and my passion was rekindled. I'm not very good but it's not about that-- in order to be good I'd have to practice all the time--I just really enjoy it. I  love painting and playing with color-- it's fun to let go--make mistakes--and try again. I'm not worried about perfection-- I'm NO Artemisia Gentileschi, the first female painter who made a major contribution to the history of art--THAT'S FOR SURE.
 I read about Artemisia a few years ago in Susan Vreeland's  The Passion of Artemisia. It's a work of historical fiction that is both accurate and well-written, although I've read that her real life was even more interesting and exciting than even this book suggests. Artemisia was a wonderful painter who lived in Rome around the Renaissance. At the age of eighteen, Artemisia was  raped by her art teacher and publicly humiliated by the papal court for even accusing him of such a crime. It  didn't help matters much that her own father refused to stand up for her--an event that tormented and affected their relationship for the rest of her life. Artemisia was then forced into an arranged marriage to Pietro Stiatessi, another painter, and sent to live in Florence. There, she excelled as a painter and was eventually elected into the Accademia dell'Arte, a major achievement for a woman. This book is part history lesson too as Artemisia was acquainted with several historically significant people of the time period including Galileo and the Medici Family--who were almost as powerful as the pope. Find out about this interesting period in history, and what ultimately happened to this celebrated painter who ignored social conventions and instead followed her heart. It's about 350 pages--or a 6 mile run--that is important on many different levels. It's a must read for anyone interested in art or how the Renaissance essentially shaped our world. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment