Saturday, February 4, 2017

February 4, 2017 CAT SCRATCH FEVER

 Exhausted, Lethargic, Feverish = NO Running, Reading, Writing. Pretty sure I've had a touch of the flu--chills, headache that feels like a helmet around the head,  achy from head to toe too. WHY ME? I don't get sick often-- I'm too stubborn and impatient-- but when I do-- it tends to linger--MY OWN FAULT. First,  I try the DENIAL thing--nah, it's just a cold--and then I try--THE SUPER WOMAN THING--I  keep running and working--followed by the -- I CAN BEAT THIS THING--UNTL-- I hit THE brick wall. Needless to say, I haven't been able to do a thing since Wednesday except sleep, couch surf and wonder--WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO RUN AGAIN, READ AGAIN, WRITE MY BLOG AGAIN?? Yes, I am an IMPATIENT PATIENT.  Still not feeling great--but hey-- I can at least look at a computer screen without getting dizzy--albeit --for only short periods of time--don't worry--Super Woman's gonna get this blog done.  Gotta get up--get movin' too-- I have this 1000 mile challenge thing and my waistline isn't shrinking with my butt  ATTACHED to the couch--I LITERALLY HAVE NO TIME OR PATIENCE FOR THIS SICK THING. I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE-- I'm just CRAZY enough to try to go for a run tomorrow too-- even though a more reasonable and PATIENT person would wait a few more days. I'm sure I'll pay for trying.....BUT THAT'S JUST WHO I AM. One thing is for certain, I would make a horrible detective. I am unreasonable and impatient, the complete opposite of Chief Inspector Armand Gamache from Louise Penny's award winning detective series.
Penny's mysteries are great reads for several reasons. First off, she is a great writer and her stories are filled with unique, interesting characters who appear in every story---13 novels to date. She also writes a great mystery--I've read two so far and have not figured out "who done it" until the last page. She also has several interesting subplots going on to keep the reader off balance--each story is a mystery within a mystery. Fun reading. Winter is tough for me, but I figure I'll get through it quite easily binge reading these hard to put down stories. I recommend reading the first in the series called Still Life even though they can be read in any order--I actually read the newest novel first because it was recommended in my bookclub.  Still Life is set in a quaintly township called Three Pines near Montreal as Chief Inspector Gamache works for the Surete du Quebec. An elderly woman named Jane Neal has been found dead in an apparent "accident" in the woods on Thanksgiving morning. Gamache and his team of investigators head out to the town where the reader is treated to meeting a host of quirky characters--lifers in a town that can't even be located on a map. Was it a tragic hunting accident or could one of the townspeople really be a murderer?  Don't worry, Gamache and his team will solve this mystery. Gamache might even fall in love with this strange town and it's inhabitants by the end too. Penny's novel is about 300 pages--easy to read but hard to put down--about a 4-5 mile run--that will leave you wanting to read the next one. Guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment