Sunday, June 2, 2024

June 2, 2024 SUMMER BREEZE

 

School's out for summer. AMEN. Survived another year. It REALLY does get harder every year. When I first started teaching --it was mandatory to have a plan book and a grade book. The plan book had to be open at all times on your desk so administration could see it when they came in your classroom. AND who could live without a grade book to keep track of student progress........TODAY.......I'm a DINOSAUR. I'm the only teacher left at my school who uses them. I asked the secretary for new ones  yesterday and she looked at me like I was a NUT. That's very telling. It's almost time. Going to have to get on the retirement train sooner than later. Seriously.  I was telling a friend the other day----I feel like I went to bed --woke up the next morning and all the rules changed--but I didn't get them memo. Anyone else feeling that way?? Another reason  to stick my nose in a book. Just finished a quirky little gem that's just in time for summer called The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl. Set in the 1980s, Stella St. Vincent is a copy editor for a small publishing company in New York City. She live a quiet, rigid, scheduled existence until her estranged mother dies. As an inheritance, Stella is left a plane ticket to Paris and $8000.00. Once in Paris, Stella gradually breaks out of her shell and starts to try new things. One day, She stops in a vintage store and buys a Dior dress which is totally out of character. After this purchase, her life really starts to change. She meets an art collector who opens her world to fine dining, art, fashion and a world of new adventures. It really is a fairy tale come true so you have to go with the fun. Reichl, the author, is a former restaurant critic and editor who really knows her food as the taste, descripton and her love of food shine throughout the novel. If you love Paris, art, food, fashion--and want to go on an adventure--check out this easy to read, quick novel for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment