Tuesday, January 10, 2017

January 10, 2016 MODERN LOVE

TECHNOLOGY. So, I finally decided to embrace it with a running app. I've got my iPhone strapped on my arm and I look official. The music is synced and-- BIG BROTHER--is keeping me posted on my mileage/speed/altitude every 5 minutes.  Next thing I know, my iPhone has stopped working. That's weird right? So I ask my comrade to check her iPhone. DEAD. Who knew iPhones were temperature sensitive--IT WAS TOO COLD SO THEY FROZE. So much for the running app if it only works some of the time--AND it was a serious bummer to run in the frigid weather without music. iPhones are wimps!  Good thing I still have my CLASSIC iPod from 2004--that thing has been through rain storms, extreme heat,  and frigid weather to boot--it takes a lickin' and keeps on ticking--it's amazing. So I'm back to manually entering my miles for the 1000 Mile Challenge--good thing I learned how to add during the Stone Ages. What would the millennials do in this crisis? They wouldn't have "Siri" to ask if she were frozen---I guess they'd have to start talking to us again. All this talk about technology made me think of Aziz Ansari's book Modern Romance which investigates the changes and challenges of finding love in the twenty-first century.
First of all, Ansari is a comedian--starring in Parks and Recreation--who happened to write an interesting, and  funny book--with the help of an NYU sociologist.  He wanted to find out how the game of love has changed because of technology. Research was conducted, hundreds were interviewed, focus groups from around the world gathered to answer the question--WHAT IS THIS NEW WORLD OF ROMANCE??   First, Ansari takes us back to a simpler time--people married young--many times to a neighbor or someone from their local church. Today, potential suitors are overwhelmed with options as they have the ability to connect with  people from around the globe. People are waiting later to marry and "sorting" through their "options" like they change their underwear while on the quest to find the perfect "soul mate."  The language of love has also changed. No more love letters or face to face interaction with the occasional sonnet being recited.  It's all emojis, snap chatting and text messaging--it's like learning a foreign language. So, if you're looking for love in all the wrong places, take a look at this book as it just might help you navigate and find your love connection. It's about 280 pages or a 4 mile run that will leave you laughing, shaking your head and being thankful for what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment