Friday, January 13, 2017

January 13, 2017 TAKE A LOAD OFF ANNIE

So thankful it's Friday and I'm home from work. The day literally CRAWLED by--I hate when that happens. It's kind of like a bad run that just won't end. So thankful too that I don't run on Fridays because  I feel mentally and physically drained. My week is a whirlwind of activity that just won't stop. By Friday my brain feels like it can't possibly process one more piece of information or it will blow up. My head feels like its spinning and my ears actually hurt from all the noise they've had to endure all week. Every part of me is screaming leave me alone. This must all have to do with getting older because I'm pretty sure I had more energy when I was younger. I VAGUELY remember going to happy hour every Friday night and thinking nothing of it-- every Friday--I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Those were the days! What's happened to me--I USED TO BE ALL THAT. Everyone else is supposed to get older--NOT ME--oh to be young again.  Wouldn't it be interesting if we could go back and live those times again OR maybe not.  Before you make up your mind,  read Kate Atkinson's book Life After Life where the main character Ursula Todd has a problem--every time she dies she is reborn and lives her life again.
Ursula Todd has been born and reborn countless times. Her original birth is in the year 1910 to an upper-class family in England--she is stillborn. Each time she is reborn, she is born into the same loving family and she lives longer. In one version of her life, she drowns as a child, another influenza,  another she falls off a roof  and later when she lives longer, she is murdered, or commits suicide only to be reborn again. With each birth, she relives the same life-- except her interactions change and her decisions change-- which effect the outcome of each life. In one version she's married to an abusive man, in another she is in love with a German soldier, in yet another, a married man. The reader is continually looped back in time for another version of Ursula's life. The interesting thing is that Ursula has deja vu at times and some of the memories of her past lives seep into her present life. She eventually uses that knowledge to change the future, most importantly,  history--when she tries to kill Hitler in 1930. Find out what ultimately happens to Ursula-- does she succeed in killing Hitler--does she do anything else to alter to future--does she finally find a way to die?  Read  this great book yourself to find the answer to these questions and many more.  It is a bit of a commitment though--about 550 pages or a 6 mile run that is worth the read. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment