Wednesday, January 25, 2017

January 25, 2017 GONNA MAKE YOU SWEAT

Decided to go to the gym last night ONLY because we were in the middle of a nor'easter.  I did contemplate running during a lull in the rain but decided against it as several limbs and trees had fallen and--WITH MY LUCK. Anyways,  I really had to talk myself into this gym thing because I HATE running on the treadmill. So after making myself drive to the gym, I parked my car and ran through the wind and pelting rain to the door. Can you believe it was locked!!  Because of the high winds, the side doors were deemed unsafe and  all members were asked to go to the main entrance. OKAY-- REALLY ANNOYED. So, I ran back to my car--soaked and completely windblown-- and drove around to the front and THEN couldn't find a place to park--that was WEIRD.  After parking a half a mile away and fighting my way through the storm--AGAIN--I walked into the gym and had to do a double take. It was PACKED with people--like sardines.   January--the New Year--oh yeah--New Year's Resolutions. I practically had to fight some newbie for a treadmill because THERE WAS NO WAY IN HELL I WAS  GONNA WAIT--remember I had to talk myself into going in the first place.  I just wanted to get this thing DONE.  As I sweat through my run though, I thought about all the newbies at the gym. Getting in shape is a great resolution and I wish you all great success. ADVICE-- Take it one day at a time and set realistic goals -- so that you can succeed. Don't forget to find a buddy and have fun too. It really is a lifestyle change that you will never regret. By the way, why is it SOOO hot at the gym.................For some strange reason--a combination of  the heat at the gym and the hordes of people there-- reminded me of a tragic but important book I read several years back called The Circus Fire: A True Story of an American Tragedy by Stewart O'Nan.
On a blistering hot day, seeking refuge from the heat and a distraction from the war, 9000 people attend Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus in Hartford,  Connecticut. It was July 6, 1944. As the audience stared at the high wire act, a small fire began on the side wall of the tent. Within minutes, the entire tent was engulfed in flames. In the panic--167 people died and 487 people were injured. While researching this terrible tragedy,  O'Nan interviewed dozens of witnesses, reviewed old newspaper articles, police records and court documents in order to write this moving and sad account of an event that could have been prevented. Although it is still not known for sure how the fire started, it spread quickly because the tent had just been waterproofed with 6000 gallons of white gasoline and 18,000 pounds of paraffin. Sounds crazy but it's true, and it was a common method for waterproofing tents at that time. A recipe for disaster. Several people have never been identified, one in particular, Little Miss 1565-- a young girl who died in the fire. I think I read an article in the paper a while back where Little Miss 1565 may have finally been identified but when this book was published it was unknown. Intermixed in this book are not only great pictures from the time period but several snippets from survivors telling of great feats of bravery and heroism.  This is a compelling read of about 350 pages-- or a 4 mile run--that will stay with you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment