Wednesday, July 6, 2016

July 6, 2016 TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING

 I decided not to run yesterday. I've been running too much because it's summer. Remember I'm a teacher--believe me, that is the only perk. Anyways, sometimes too much of a good thing becomes a grind and I never want to feel that way about running. Hence, a rest day for all of you runners.
 The same thing can happen with reading but in a different way. Sometimes I have to take a little time off between books-- I have trouble moving on because the characters become important to me. The writing is so  beautiful that I feel as though I know each character personally. I can still remember the names of many of the characters in my favorite books. Pip, Estella and Miss Havisham are memorable characters from one of my favorite books Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.  I am a huge Dickens fan because--he could essentially bring a whole world to life-vividly-before the advent of television. His descriptive writing and understanding of people transports me back in time. I leave my own life and live in another world when I read his books. It's only about 450 pages but a bit of a dense read so I will call it a half-marathon--worth every step!

2 comments:

  1. I took the day off from running. I ran too far yesterday, so I'm really tired today. I still feel guilty about it, though. I too am a teacher, and I'm trying to fit everything in before summer school starts next week. I know that my running will be the first thing to take a hit.

    Embarrassingly, I have never read Great Expectations. I think I was supposed to in high school. I was not very present during those tumultuous years, but I am making up for lost time. I'll add it to my list.

    I just heard that Mega Millions is at 508 million!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Girl Who Fell From the Sky" sounds like a good book club pick. Keep on running-keep on blogging. Rushing out to get my Powerball tickets now-I will contribute to the Belle of the Bookbookstore if I win.

    ReplyDelete