Monday, July 4, 2016

July 4, 2016 CH CH CH CH CHANGES

Reading and relatives are also similar. Some relatives are great fun, easy to love-- while others require a terminal amount of patience-- we have to dig deep. Same goes for books right?  There is a major difference between the two though--- reading conjures up memories of relatives--these can be good or bad but relatives hopefully don't conjure up reading???
Anyways, this leads me to my first book review.  I am currently reading The Girl Who Fell From The Sky, by Heidi W. Durrow. This book was published in 2010 and won the Bellwether prize for fiction. It's an easy read at only 264 pages--a mere 5K for all of you runners. This novel is about a young girl of Danish and African American descent, who after a family tragedy, is forced to move to a new city to live with her  African American Grandmother. It is about navigating in a "new" world, in this case a world where she is expected to "act black."
I feel a connection to this book because at a young age I was thrust into a "new" world too. I had to navigate my way in a new family with a new set of rules. Talk about adaptation!
 This is why books are so wonderful. You never know what you're going to get. In this case another chance to think about and understand an event that changed my life--forever.


5 comments:

  1. Just added this book to my list of must-reads. I'm always looking for book recommendations. Great review. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also adding this book to my list. Great review! It's probably more like a 10k for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was the event that changed your life?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much like the character in the book, I moved to a new town with different family and rules.

    ReplyDelete