Saturday, July 16, 2016

July 16, 2016 DYSFUNCTION JUNCTION

I've been running with the same group of women on and off for several years all over New England including Central Park, Boston, Providence and Hartford. There is one thing about logging many miles together--it builds camaraderie. We know each other well--every idiosyncrasy!! We have laughed AT each other and WITH each other thousands of times. We have shared births, deaths, graduations and the everyday drama of being married for a LOOONNGG time---with kids that NEVER seem to leave.
One of the best parts of the long run is time. What a luxury. We have time to talk and reflect. It's a great opportunity to discuss family dysfunction-- gain a sense of humor-- make peace--and let it go.  Every family has dysfunction, those living in tents, duplexes or even mansions---which is a relief to me --because I thought my family's picture appeared in the dictionary next to the word.  Anyways, when I think of family dysfunction at it's best, I think of Jonathon Tropper's hysterical book, This is Where I Leave You, because frankly, I would rather laugh than cry!! It is the best medicine.
After the death of his father, Judd Foxman and his siblings come back to their childhood home to sit Shiva . Each sibling come complete with baggage including ex-wives, spouses, and disappoint. While sitting Shiva for seven long days, the siblings re-examine their shared history and dysfunction and learn to reconnect and let go of childhood animosity. This is an easy read at about 360 pages---a 5k---with an important message. Although Tropper's book is laugh-out-loud funny, you might learn several lessons about life--if you listen.

1 comment:

  1. The copy of this book that you loaned to me last Summer is still sitting at the beach house! I read this book in one night -- so funny and so relatable. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete