Friday, July 8, 2016

July 8, 2016 YOU'RE SO VAIN

When I first started running it was about staying in shape--maintaining my weight. It was actually the first and only New Year's resolution I had ever made. I was 35 and started to notice that it wasn't as easy to maintain my weight and since I am an extremely vain person, I decided to get moving. Over the years though, running has become so much more. I do some of my best thinking when I am out running-- my creative juices flow. I have worked out and  written several plays, short stories, poems, and screenplays. I have also worked out thousands of lesson plans for school and relieved a lot of stress and anxiety too. Running (or regular exercise in any form) is a great way to channel anxiety, fear, addiction, depression, family dysfunction-whatever. This reminds me of Smithy Ide, the main character of The Memory of Running, by Ron McLarty.
 Smithy is an over-weight, depressed, chain-smoking, drinker who works in a G.I.  Joe factory assembling action figures. He is a loser. One drunken night after a horrific tragedy, Smithy decides to get on his old bicycle and ride  across the country to California to find his long lost sister. This is a remarkable story, it is heartwarming, and hilarious, but most of all it is hopeful. On his journey, Smithy not only loses weight, he finds himself again and reconciles his lost childhood. He meets plenty of great characters along the way too and learns many great lessons.   Another  great thing about this book is that it is set in Rhode Island.  Anyone from New England will recognize the terrain as he pedals from state to state. There is even  a character in the story who works at Benny's. Who doesn't love this store--one stop shopping. I can buy a toaster, a fishing pole, towels, and a new shirt in one store--Quintessential New England!

3 comments:

  1. One of our more memorable book club books, as well as book club evenings with a lively, hilarious discussion about the benefits of being a Benny's employee. I enjoyed this post and reliving Smithy's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there anything better than Benny's? Just last week we left with a blender, a bundle of firewood, and a new Independence Day themed inter-tube for the beach. The best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing I love more than a good transformation story and this is a great one. Go Smithy! Benny's never changes. It's like walking into a time warp.

    ReplyDelete