Tuesday, July 26, 2016

JULY 25, 2016 CASPER THE FRIENDLY GHOST

During my first year as a runner, my grandfather, who had been diagnosed with diabetes, not only lost his sight but his ability to walk too. I was devastated  when his health declined. For some reason though, this fueled my running. I would tell myself, don't quit now-just one more block--do it for Ump because he can't. My grandfather was my real life hero. He was a man who was up with the rising sun working his cow and chicken farm for over 40 years. He was a hard worker who enjoyed the outdoors and his family. I have great memories of grading and selling eggs, feeding the cows and swimming in the pool with my siblings. Wonderful memories. Anyways, he's been dead 18 years but when I am out running tough runs, I think of my Ump--he is my friendly ghost. He gives me the push I  need to put one foot in front of the other and carry on. I guess some ghosts can be a good thing.
I have always been intrigued by stories about ghosts. I don't know if they exist, but I imagine them as sort of like angels who watch over their loved ones.
This fascination led me to read The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue. This beautifully written tragic, love story takes place mostly in New Orleans but spans several decades. The main  character is a beautiful, young woman named Raziela Nolan who dies in a freak accident but will not go beyond because she is heartbroken at the loss of her love, Andrew. She stays in-between. While in-between, Razi haunts a house that is eventually occupied by a young couple named Amy and Scott. Their problems mirror Razi's from years ago-- enabling Razi to finally search for Andrew, to see him one last time, before she passes over. This 240 page novel  is a story about love, loss and redemption---it's about a 4 mile run--but you will not want it to end. I almost forgot---the ending has a a great TWIST--it will  haunt you the way it lingers--almost ghostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment