Thursday, July 28, 2016

July 28, 2016 CAN'T FIND MY WAY HOME

I have a disease. It's called "Directionality Deficiency." I'm pretty sure it's genetic and has something to do with being left handed. Being directionally challenged can cause complications, especially, when running a new race or in a new area. This is when I am most  thankful that I have a comrade with a good sense of direction. Recently, I spent a few days in New York City with my comrade--since we were on the upper east side---so she told me---we ran in Central Park. I have run in Central Park before, but that was for a half marathon about 8 years ago in  torrential  rain--all I can remember from that race is being frozen and soaking wet. I would have given away my left arm for a hot shower that day.  Anyways, running in Central Park is beautiful even in the heat. There are so many people out enjoying themselves that it is intoxicating-----BUT it is a prime place for the directionally challenged to get lost. I have difficultly keeping my left and right straight , but add to that east, west, south and north and I could get lost in the park for 50 years. Thankfully, my comrade took charge as we ran around the park. It was fun because I didn't have to worry about a thing. We weaved our way left, right, north, south,  east, west--I don't know-- but an hour later we were back where we started from. It was one of the highlights of our  trip because it is  always great fun to explore new places.
Harold Fry has a problem much like mine when he decides to walk 627 miles across England to visit  a long lost friend in, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.
Harold is a recently retired man with too much  time on his hands. His wife can't seem to stand him and every day is virtually the same. One day, Harold receives a letter from an old friend named Queenie. She tells him that she is very ill and dying. Harold immediately writes back, but while bringing the letter to the post office,  he changes his mind and decides to hand deliver his message. He doesn't have any money with him--he literally has only the clothes on his back as he sets out on his quest. Many interesting people help him along the way--giving directions, food, advice or a place to rest his weary feet. Harold's journey becomes a second chance--he reexamines his life and really starts to live again with new hope and direction for the future. Joyce writes a wise, funny story--you will crack up--Fry is a quirky character--but you will love him and never forget his story. This novel is about 380 pages--only a 5k--as it is easy to read and hard to put down. There is also a surprise twist in this book that makes it even more delicious. If you love Harold Fry, the sequel came out last year which is equally wonderful. Have fun, but don't get too lost in the story! Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. This books sounds right up my alley. I'm definitely adding it to my list. Great review! I'm glad you guys had a good time in New York City, and that you didn't get lost. :)

    ReplyDelete