Wednesday, August 10, 2016

AUGUST 10, 2016 THE CAPED CRUSADER

Most of the time, I am a caped crusader--SUPER MOM--I  can produce scrumptious meals, fold 10 loads of laundry and chauffeur my fledglings all over town--faster than the speed of light. Fortunately for me--I have an alter ego. RUNAWAYMOM appeared as my alter ego several years ago. The demands of parenting and working weighed heavily and I NEEDED ALONE TIME. As much as I loved my family and job, I felt smothered at times and running afforded me the only time I could be on my own. I needed to do something for myself that did not involve anyone else--Call it selfish--I call it survival. Although  I enjoy running with my comrades, I still need those runs by myself.  They give me the opportunity to reflect on my day, work out problems or just think without being interrupted 100 times. When running alone, I get to know myself better-- attitudes change and develop-- helping me become a better mother, wife, friend and citizen of the world sort of like the main character of Antoine de Saint-Exupery's classic The Little Prince.  Although  Saint-Exupery "supposedly" wrote this story for children, it is actually written for grown-ups as it is meant to be read metaphorically.  In the story, the little prince decides to leave his tiny planet to travel the universe--alone-- in an effort to understand adults and the world around him. His adventures take him to several planets and asteroids. Along the way, he meets a strange assortment of people-- a king, a conceited man, a businessman, a drunkard, a lamplighter, a geographer and finally a pilot on the planet Earth. An astute reader will realize that each person is an allegory for human nature--a child will read it more literally though-- as just an adventure story.  Even though this story was written in 1942,  its message is even more important today than when it was originally written. It is a cautionary tale to grown-ups to remember childhood, innocence and imagination. Adults often get wrapped up in material things, power, and wealth--Saint-Exupery saw this 74 years ago. This novella is only 96 pages and has great illustrations to accompany most pages. This read is a short jaunt around the block but its message is a marathon--Take Heed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I really enjoyed this review. It's time to break out The Little Prince and rediscover it. I'm always game for a little soul searching.

    ReplyDelete