Friday, August 5, 2016

AUGUST 5, 2016 OLD MAN

I see many of the same faces while out pounding the pavement because I live in a great area where people truly enjoy getting outside. Whether walking their dogs, strolling their little ones or riding their bikes--there is always someone else on the sidewalk.  Several years ago, I met an older man--I would say he was about 70. He walked every day.  I looked forward to seeing him because he reminded me of my grandfather-tall, thin, erect and proud--with a determined countenance. He walked at a good pace too--like he had somewhere to go. Anyways, when I saw him we said hello and continued on our merry way. FAST FORWARD MANY YEARS--I hadn't seen him lately and often wondered about him-- until this morning.  Although his frame has withered with age, and he now uses a cane--he is STILL WALKING--sort of shuffling is more like it.  I admire him though because he is still out there. I watched him in awe from across the street-- his concentration complete with clenched jaw and very serious eyes-- as he willed one foot in front of the other--something he has done a million times in his life--now proves quite difficult. I don't know his name or where he lives in the neighborhood, but he inspires my to persevere.
My elderly neighbor reminds me of Allan Karlsson, the main character of Jonas Jonasson's novel The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared. On the day of his hundredth birthday, Allan decides to runaway rather than face a ridiculous birthday party. Escaping in his slippers, Allan embarks on an unlikely journey involving  a suitcase full of money, criminals and an elephant. Set in Sweden, this enjoyable read is reminiscent of Forrest Gump as Allan recounts his escapades which include making the Atomic bomb, befriending United States Presidents as well as dictators and tyrants from other countries because of his knowledge about the bomb. Allen gets himself involved in many of the major events of the twentieth century and comes out on top much like Gump.  This is an enjoyable, funny read of about 400 pages--about a 5 mile run. WARNING: This book is historically accurate (except for Allan Karlsson and that Albert Einstein was his half brother) so you might learn something about a very interesting time in our World's history. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment