Friday, August 26, 2016

August 26, 2016 IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BASS-NOT!

Runners come in all shapes and sizes. When I first started racing, I would try to find a few runners in the pack that I was going to beat based solely on their shape and size.-- I'd say to myself, "Hey, she has short legs--I'm gonna kick her butt in the race"--BIG MISTAKE. Runners are also young and old and it isn't any wiser to size up your competition based on age either--BELIEVE ME, AGE IS IRRELEVANT!! I have been beat by tall and short runners, skinny and overweight runners--- ten-year old and seventy-year old runners too. It hurts the ego sometimes but it's all part of the mystery of running--IT'S ALL GOOD. Some of my greatest competition in races have become great friends over the years. We have a great respect for each other because what we do is hard--we understand each other in a unique way.  I have also learned many lessons from my more experienced  running friends--they inspire me to be better than I am. It is easy to make friends with runners because--we share common goals--AND AGE IS ONLY A NUMBER ON  THE ROAD.
I read a great story  a few years ago about friendship that I think about often called The Orphan Train. The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline is a great story about the unexpected friendship between a teenager named Molly and Vivian, an elderly widow, who lives in Maine. The story is told in alternating perspectives, revealing what has happened to the main characters in a fluid prose that is difficult to put down. On  the surface, these two women seem to have nothing in common, but as they get to know each other,  they quickly learn that they share much more than they ever thought possible. I have to admit that when the book first came out I was not very interested. Sometimes I can be a BOOK SNOB --I kind of rolled my eyes--another book about the orphan train--SORRY.   I finally gave in and read it after several people recommended it and I am glad I did. This is a wonderful story about  loneliness, heartache, adaptation and finally the gift of  second chances. While reading the book, I felt a real connection to the characters because I could relate to their hardships. I have lived many of them in some way myself, and feel fortunate for my second chance. This lovely little gem is only about 280 pages --a mere 5k--about a friendship you will never forget. So hop on the train and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment