Tuesday, August 2, 2016

AUGUST 2, 2016 THOSE WERE THE DAYS

Went out for an easy run this morning with one of my comrades. It was raining a bit but it felt good --67 degrees with a nice breeze too. My kind of weather. Easy runs are fun because they give us a chance to catch up and chat about what's happening in the world. Anyways, one thing led to another and we started reminiscing about the good old days--which we do quite often. I think it all started when I said something about a woman who got arrested for leaving her child alone in a car. My comrade immediately spouted something like-- Back in the day, my parents left us alone in the car--a Comet-- for hours at a time while they shopped--NO one cared---it was survival of the fittest. Then I came back with--I remember sitting between my two brothers in the car--a Datsun-- and punching them and vise versa  if they so much as touched me or even more annoying--breathed too loudly.   Before we knew it, we were hysterically laughing---When women are trying to run and laugh at the same time--ESPECIALLY after having a few kids--well that's like sneezing when you have to go...... Enough said. Of course, these runs often lead to all kinds of crazy stories about the "olden days." I have found that the older I get, the more I take solace in the past--longing for the "good old days"--Unfortunately, we never understand the good old days until they have long passed.
If you're feeling a bit nostalgic, check out Bill Bryson's hilarious memoir The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. Bryson's trek through middle-class America in the 1950's and early sixties is LAUGH-OUT-LOUD funny. He is a great writer who seamlessly infuses hyperbole throughout the story-- guaranteeing a fun read. He grew up during the advent of the frozen dinner--the television series-- reading with Dick & Jane-- and bomb drills-- where he hid under his desk--not sure how that was supposed to save anyone? His stories often center around major events of the time including the Atomic Bomb, Cold War and the Civil Rights Movement-- a true baby boomer. There are also great pictures and advertisements from back in the day including one from Camel Cigarettes where a doctor appears to enjoy a cigarette as the ad says: MORE DOCTORS SMOKE CAMELS THAN ANY OTHER CIGARETTE! Wow!! This is an easy to read book of about 260 pages--with pictures--a mere 4 mile easy run. So,  enjoy his trip back through time--it will bring you back--and crack you up along the way. WARNING: Do not read this in any place deemed quiet because you will NOT be able to control your laughter. Seriously.

3 comments:

  1. I clearly remember getting smacked in the back of the head "gulping gulliver as I recall. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, that is so funny. I had forgotten that I called you that. Those are the things to remember though because they are comical. Too bad Rob doesn't read the blog--he would get a laugh or two. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious. I remember begging my mom to let us sit in the car while she shopped and now that is something I would be arrested for! I also remember drawing imaginary lines down the backseat and daring my brother to even touch my side of the car! I will have to read this book!

    ReplyDelete