Monday, August 29, 2016

August 29, 2016 SAY, HEY, GOOD LOOKIN'--WHAT YA GOT COOKIN' ?

Okay folks, I need to level with you. I know I confessed to having one genetic "flaw" last month--directionality deficiency--but I actually have another troubling defect. I'm sort of embarrassed to share it with you but.......I have a WANDERING EYE. SSSH....don't tell anyone, but I love looking, okay, admiring, but not drooling.... at good looking men. I am pretty sure it started back with the Elvis movies that were on every Saturday afternoon when I was an impressionable young girl. Next it was Sean Connery as James Bond--Paul Newman--Robert Redford--Warren Beatty--Sam Elliott and the list goes on and on and on and on and...........you get the point.Why am I telling you this and what does it have to do with running??? BECAUSE THERE ARE REALLY GOOD LOOKING RUNNERS OUT THERE!!! Just thought you'd like to know. The wandering eye is an obstacle I have had to deal with because it  can cause several problems when running--crink in the neck, running into poles or people, daydreaming-- which contributes to falling.......just  to name a few. How do I know?? WELL, take a wild guess. One good thing about my disability is that it is actually quite helpful when reading books. I can imagine any male character to be one of a thousand different men. Good therapy for the wandering eye. Speaking of wandering eyes, the eyes in Optometrist T. J. Eckleburg's imposing billboard seem to meander over the characters as they move back and forth through the Valley of Ashes in F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel The Great Gatsby.
When I originally  read The Great Gatsby  (way back when) I pictured Gatsby as Sean Connery from James Bond. Gatsby is an attractive, rich, ladies man (of questionable wealth) in love with the beautiful but married Daisy Buchanan. Five years earlier, the two had had a love affair, but when Gatsby was called to serve his country overseas, Daisy found herself another man.  Daisy, only interested in money, marries a pompous bully named Ted Buchanan. There is no love lost between the two as his affairs seem a normal part of life.  After his military service, Gatsby makes millions and buys an estate in Long Island across the sound from Daisy's East Neck home. There, he throws lavish parties to see and impress her and hopefully rekindle their affair. Gatsby believes he is in love with Daisy but it is difficult to understand why because she has no redeeming qualities. In fact, all of the  characters including Gatsby are shallow and devoid of any genuine feelings. Fitzgerald's novel is a cautionary tale about love, power, greed, lust and materialism set in 1925's Jazz Age. I don't want to tell you anymore about this fabulous gem except that I love the ending and it is well worth the 180 pages--a 4 mile run only because the writing is fabulous and descriptive but you have to expect that from arguably one of the best American writers who ever lived.

DISCLAIMER--I AM REALLY HAPPILY MARRIED TO A VERY GOOD LOOKING MAN--IT'S NOT ME--IT'S THE EYE--BUT, I'M ONLY ADMIRING--REALLY!!





2 comments:

  1. Very funny! It keeps life interesting, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding The Great Gatsby to the To Read List. It's been a while (even longer than the Owen Meany book) but your writing makes me want to read it again. Love your blog, Marsha. Thanks for sharing. Karen

    ReplyDelete