Thursday, August 18, 2016

AUGUST 18, 2016 PROTECT YOURSELF

Because I run in the same neighborhoods over and over, I have become a de facto sentinel--an unofficial member of the neighborhood watch. I know the comings and goings of the neighborhood--which license plates belong in which driveway--where the dogs live--who has kids-who is painting their house or needs to paint their house--who takes care of their lawn and who needs to hire a lawn service--EVEN--who needs help in the decorating department. EVERYTHING-- down to the recycling bin--which tells a whole other story.
 Don't get me wrong, I don't stop and look in them or anything, but they're out there--like everything else--kind of like information on the internet AND there are people out there, everyday,  shopping in recycling bins--hopefully ONLY looking for cans--SORRY--that's just my paranoia getting the best of me again--but I often wonder what the recycling bin shoppers think of MY recycling bin--filled with empty beer cans, bottles and other questionable things--HONESTLY--they're not mine--well not most of them.............Getting back to the job-- I didn't apply for it, it just happened over time.  I can't help but notice things, especially, in the summer when I run through several neighborhoods almost every day. Good thing I'm going back to work soon and can get a REAL life! Anyways.......I just finished reading a book last week about a man who REALLY believes he is the neighborhood police entitled A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.   Ove, the main character in the story, is a cranky, lonely old man. He dislikes most people and rubs others the wrong way with his callous remarks. He is a strict rule follower who patrols his Swedish neighborhood each morning looking for wrongdoers. Underneath his bitter exterior though is a kind-hearted, sad man who wants to end his life because he can not get over the death of his wife. When a new family moves into his neighborhood--a quirky, free-spirited lot--Ove's world is turned upside down. They crack through his shell and teach Ove how to live again. This is a great, funny, heartfelt story of about 360 pages. It is an easy read, about a 4 miles run, that will have you shaking your head, laughing and shedding a few tears. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment