Saturday, August 20, 2016

August 20, 2016 STILL CRAZY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS

CRAZY. That's a word my comrades and I  hear quite often --what are you girls doing out here in this heat, you're crazy--or--why would you get up and run so early--you're crazy.  We get a lot of head shaking and cautionary warnings too--make sure you drink enough water--or--where's your hat-sunscreen-sunglasses---a shake of the head--then--YOU'RE CRAZY. If getting up on most mornings by 7:30 to be out running by 8:00 in all kinds of weather--like the mailman--is crazy--than I should be put in the looney bin--if just for a little of the R & R.  I get it--BUT I also believe EVERYONE is a little off kilter in someway. Being an authority on crazy, I want you to know that most of the people I know are a little kooky--BUT one person's crazy is another person's sanity, especially, in my case. Take running for instance, if I didn't run-I would probably be even madder than a hatter.  Running helps me stay--just barely, mind you-- on the other side of crazy. Running keeps me grounded, helps me to try to remember to live in the moment and appreciate each day. Yes, it is really hot out there, but I am so lucky that I get to run in the heat-- and sweat a lot-- each and every day--I must be crazy as a bedbug.
Anyways, I absolutely love books with oddball--quirky--half crazy characters, so it is difficult for me to even choose one-- I am thinking a Wally Lamb book though. Lamb is a writer from Norwich, Connecticut, who actually taught at NFA and UCONN for years before his writing career blossomed. I love all of his books, but one character I will never forget is Dolores Price from his bestselling book, She's Come Undone. This wonderful story is told in first person from the perspective of Dolores as it is the story of her life from age 4 until about 40. It is set in many locales around New England beginning in 1956. Life is a struggle for Dolores as she is  forced to grow up quickly. Her father has walked out, her mother has had a nervous breakdown and Dolores is forced to live with her grandmother in Rhode Island. She has NO self-esteem and spends her days eating chips and mallomars while drinking soda and watching hours of television.  As an obese young woman, life only gets harder for Dolores, who tries to go to college and fails and ultimately thinks about taking her own life.  The great part of the story is that Dolores--does find a way to turn it around. Her journey through the ups and downs in life is one you will never forget. She is a funny, interesting character who learns the hard way that life is worth living. This great read is about 450 pages long, about a 6 mile run. At times you will be laughing, then crying, and finally rooting for Dolores as her roller coaster ride through life takes all kinds of kooky turns. It is worth the read!

1 comment: